Plush Beauty Bar took form after co-founder Kathryn Grady had a baby and began to feel like she was falling apart. In spite of having maternity time on her hands and a cooperative baby, there was nowhere she could easily go to even get a simple manicure or eyebrow wax.
“I didn’t feel like children were welcome in most salons—plus I didn’t want to expose my baby to the harsh chemical fumes of acrylics and other nail products.”
She told her friend, Jennifer Paige, an Aveda-trained esthetician, about the quandary.
Jennifer said, "You're right. I see mothers juggling their children all the time, and there is never the space to accommodate them properly. Let's open a business that caters to all women who want a fume-free, clean salon with fair prices."
Thus Plush Beauty Bar was born. It features:
- Low-fume, low-toxic products and services – no acrylics
- Basin liners, orange sticks, and files that are never re-used
- No double-dipping on waxing EVER
- A children’s play area
- Nail buffing option at no additional fee to eliminate polish drying time
- Fair prices with no pushy up-selling
- Amazing massage chairs
- Clean, roomy bathroom with changing table
- Staff who accommodate breaks between or during appointments to tend to baby
- Diapers to assist with emergencies
- Free bubbles for all small children
- Monthly "sweet deal" emails for all customers who opt in
- Central location near Whole Foods, a dry cleaner, bakery, post office, Starbucks, and many other conveniences to allow for ease in errand-running
- Parking at the shopping center and additional lots on Orange Grove (the street on the east side of the shopping center)
- Hand-picked retail items—Plush doesn’t sell anything that its founders don’t LOVE and believe in. Everything in the boutique has been tested and Plush-approved.
Today, Plush Beauty Bar is a place where women can get a little pampering and connect with other women in a fun, baby-friendly, easy-going atmosphere.